Monday, February 2, 2009

Winter Sowing Seeds in Containers

I have been anxious to try and yet aprehensive about taking risks with different methods of propagation (time and money are at risk). But it is imperative to learn how to do these things, after all, or I will never have more than one year's experience gardening thirty or forty times over! And wouldn't that be a tragedy!

Even starting some seeds indoors feels a bit risky to me. I have had varying degrees of success with this in the past. As I posted previously, my intention is to start part of my tomatoes and peppers inside. But today, I read some articles found in the Dave's Garden newletter about 'winter sowing' seeds. This is not an entirely new idea to me, but one that I have never tried. And actually, I never thought about winter sowing seeds outside in containers the way 'Critter' is doing. No point in me trying to re-explain it all. Here is the article: Six More Weeks of Winter!? Celebrate by Winter Sowing Your Seeds! and here is her follow-up article just in case you have gone crazy with winter sowing:What to do with 10,000 Spring Sprouts in Your Winter Sowing Containers

Actually, an idea just came to me! I have the tops of those PVC drums that can be used to protect my winter sown seeds from the elements. These will provide filtered light, will be warmed by the sun and can be easily lifted to water when necessary and hardening off. Hmmmm...I can easily come by some fresh horse manure to use to heat up this little mini "hot house". Now I am deviating from Critter's instructions...will this still be 'winter sowing', per se?

No comments:

Post a Comment