Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Change, Change, Change

I have been thinking about either cutting way back, or stopping altogether my consumption of milk and coffee. These are two things that a) we spend alot of money on, b) are not necessarily good for our health and c) there is no way we are going to 'grow' or 'raise' ourselves.

Allright...I confess: we are serious Starbucks fans. It is like an addiction. Everytime we go into town for any reason, or hit the road, we must grab that almost $2 cuppa Joe (fortunately we gave up the fancy dancy Mochas, Lattes, Cappucinos a long time ago). We even broke down recently and purchased their new Gold Card for $25. This gives us a ten percent discount with every purchase and there are freebies occasionally for cardholders. Believe me, at our current rate, we will get our money's worth out of the price of the card. If I quit Starbucks altogether, what I might miss most of all is the free used coffee grounds that we always grab on our way out the door. Or my garden will. Just ingenious, whoever thought of that idea...having the customers happily haul all of your coffee ground waste for you! I hope that guy got a huge bonus from corporate ; )

As far as the milk...I have been buying Organic for about a year. This makes the cost of drinking milk significantly higher. I have still not been happy with the fact that Organic Dairy Cows are fed corn. My ideal dairy cow would live only on organic pasture grass... I figured organic corn-fed dairy cows without added hormones or antibiotics is better than no milk at all.
However, there is much research that testifies to the fact that bovine milk or any other kind of milk is unnecessary even harmful to adult humans or any other adult mammals. I quit eating breakfast cereal a long time ago. Cold cereal is really not yummy without real milk...so what would I be missing? I enjoy a glass of milk every couple of days, or now and then a mug of hot cocoa (I use Hershey's plain, unsweetened cocoa). May not be so difficult if I still allow it as a rare indulgence.

Now if only I could have some of that Horchata like I had in Korea instead. Hard to believe...best Horchata that I've ever had was at a Mexican restaurant in Seoul while visiting brother. There were, in fact, several 'best-I've-ever-tried' at restaurants in Korea. Hmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment