Monday, February 16, 2009

Small Fruit in My Garden

I now have several different small fruits in my garden, so in keeping with my purpose of this blog I will post some applicable links here as I find them.

I have Latham and Heritage red raspberries and an unknown black raspberry. This site from the University of Illinois Extension on the care of raspberries is helpful.

Recently purchased were Doyle's Thornless Blackberries. They have not been planted yet, but are sitting in the cold foyer waiting for spring. These will need a wire trellis in a good sunny location.

Two articles from Dave's Garden:

Time to Tame the Raspberry Jungle

Okay, so you have raspberries, blackberries or other brambles… How do you control them? With a Bramble Trellis!

There was an unknown grape vine here on the property. It was a young start and was easy to move to our preferred spot next to the chicken run a couple of years ago. It did fruit last year, so we do know that it is a red grape with seeds. I am not real fond of them for fresh eating, but the chickens love them! I need to build a trellis for the vine this year.

We also need strawberries. There is so much work to do outside, that it may be awhile before I have a good permanent site prepared for a strawberry bed. The grubs are really bad, so I should put grub control on my list of things that I must handle this year! The plan is to apply beneficial nematodes and Milky Spore.

Midwest Small Fruit Pest Management Handbook

No comments:

Post a Comment