Saturday, January 10, 2009

Substitutions

Since I an working toward eliminating corn from our diet as much as possible, I have been wondering about different thickeners and how to substitute them in recipes. I understand that wheat flour often works, but I would like to try some other things. I have used arrowroot in soups and have seen at least one recipe that calls for 'corn starch or arrowroot' in equal amounts. Arrowroot is not always so easily found in the grocery store, but I buy it whenever I see it.

Also tapioca is used in pies. I wonder about how healthy xanthan gum is. I think that it is made from corn or maybe yeast, which is something else I am trying to reduce in our diets...but immuno supporting Beta Glucan is also made from yeast cells, but has none of the harmful effects of yeast remaining in it. So, who can answer these questions for me? Here's a page I found on thickeners but there is nothing about using xanthan gum. A little info on xanthan gum here, says its made from corn...doesn't say anything about yeast, but maybe I just won't bother with it.

University of Illinois News Release: 'Tips for Best Uses of Different Starches as Thickeners'

No comments:

Post a Comment