Friday, September 16, 2011

Three Eggs and a Fox

Today we are up to the third egg from the pullets.  I have no way of knowing if these are all three from one hen or not.  I did find in Gail Damerow's 'Raising Chickens' that when a pullet begins to lay early then she is more likely to prolapse or become egg bound.  I guess I will have to prepare myself in case that happens, but pray for the best.  I have never had to deal with either situation yet.  

I took down the rest of the shade cloth today.  Some of the birds thought it was cozy to sleep on the shade cloth instead of on the roost in their shelter.  Kind of like a giant hammock, I guess!  One of my 'Have to Do's' before winter is to get a Chicken Tractor made.  This will be taller than their current shelter, so they will be able to roost higher up as they prefer...and they are ready for nest boxes.  It will be portable, by definition, so they will be able to be moved around to fresh grass, yet be safe from predators.

We have had a fox on the property.  He still eludes our capture and I have not been comfortable letting the old birds out loose.  The use of the dog run has come in handy this summer for some peace of mind.   

No comments:

Post a Comment