Sunday, September 13, 2009

Baking Powder

Since any baking powder that I have found in the grocery stores contain cornstarch, I was pleased to find not only a recipe to make my own without using cornstarch, but also discovered this Wikipedia article explaining the science of baking powder and how it works.

Baking Soda and Cream of Tartar are the active ingredients. I will use arrowroot as the starch in my homemade baking powder. This will be a single acting baking powder, not double acting as the timing will not be a problem for me, so a heat reactive acid salt is not critical. (Read the article).

Here's the recipe:

ABC 1:2:1

1 part Arrowroot powder
2 parts Baking Soda
1 part Cream of Tartar

That's it! I still have half of a can of Clabber Girl baking powder to use up so I can reuse the handy-dandy can with the straight edge made for leveling off the measuring spoon.
____________________________________________________
Update 2/13/10:  The homemade blend has worked just fine for pancakes.  That is all I have tried it for so far.  I did find a corn starch free commercial baking powder at our local health food store.  The brand is Hain and the ingredients are monocalcium phosphate, potato starch, and potassium bicarbonate.  It is sodium free (thus the potassium bicarbonate instead of sodium bicarbonate) and also gluten free.

No comments:

Post a Comment