Monday, August 17, 2009

The Disappearing Omega 3's

In my most recent issue of Prevention Magazine I found this most interesting article 'The Vanishing Youth Nutrient' on the disappearance of the vital Omega 3's from our diet. It is becoming more and more clear to me about the problem of grains, not only in our own diets, but in the silage of our meat animals!

We have not yet purchased a pasture-raised, pasture-finished side of beef for our freezer, but have been living for the most part on our own meat chickens that we raised, wild pork and the rare traditional lot raised beef from the grocery store. We occasionally will buy a huge pork loin, which we slice into chops and freeze...because of the low price. I really want to eliminate all commercial meat...it is still a work in progress for us. It's not happening nearly as fast as I would like. We have changed MUCH in the way that we eat and think about food, but the changes that we still need to make will require even more dedication.

Once again, I say that 'Organic' is not good enough for my satisfaction if the animals in any way subsist or are finished on grains, especially corn. It is greens in the diets of our livestock that make the meat Omega 3 rich (which we need) as opposed to an excessive amount of Omega 6 (which we do not need) in the grain fed livestock.

Let me reiterate that I am not opposed to using a small, balanced amount of healthy, toxin-free whole grains in our diet. The problem is that in this country, grains tend to be used in an unhealthy way. Not only through refining, but also over-use (compared to greens and other complex carbs), and not least of all is the problem of fungal toxins that exist in stored grains, expecially the universally contaminated corn.

No comments:

Post a Comment