Thursday, December 4, 2008

The Plan

The goal is to build up my knowledge and skills in food growing, processing for storage and then daily preparation of meals for our overall health. In all the years past I have tried to steer towards a more healthy diet, but have never devoted myself to creating an actual roadmap.

A rough sketch of what I have in mind:

*List my sources for food-
My garden,local farmers' markets, orchards, grocery stores, co-ops

*Think about what kinds of foods I am buying that I should be growing and preserving myself.

*Acquire the tools that I lack to turn my kitchen into a 'Harvest Kitchen':
-another pressure canner, a food mill, many more mason jars; quart, pint, half pint, a large stainless steel stockpot, an harvest table with drawers and shelf, a good quality food dehydrator, food processor, new large stainless steel farm sink, how-to books...

*Renovate the closet by the back door into a functional pantry.

*Install more shelf space and bins in cellar.

*Streamline the information, resources that I have on hand in the form of notes, printouts, cookbooks, recipe cards, etc. Take the tough leap and get rid of stuff that will serve no good purpose for our healthy living goals. Collect tasty and healthy recipes (yes, there are enough tasty AND healthy foods to keep us satisfied).

*Think about how much of each type of preserved foods that I should put up for one year.

*Organize this Blog into seasons. I should be able to refer back to this at any time to remind myself what I should be doing when: browsing seed catalogs, starting plants, harvesting, preserving the harvest, meal planning, etc. I will edit, add, delete any post, at any time as need be without apology.

No comments:

Post a Comment