Thursday, December 4, 2008

Heirloom Tomatoes

I would like trying mostly Heirloom tomatoes in the garden in 2009. I have grown heirlooms before, but never almost exclusively. I will need to think some more about whether I want to try and save seeds, as I will have a variety and I don't think that I will want to go to the trouble of trying to prevent cross pollination.

Since I am sure that a seed packet will have waaay more plants than I actually need, I may try starting enough to keep and some to sell. This way I can use that money for fresh seeds the following year.

I have grown Brandywine in the past. Last year it was Rutgers, Green Zebra and Old German. I really liked the Old German. It is a great slicing tomato, a very sweet and luscious fruit.

I have a new magazine that gives suggestions as to which varieties to use for which purpose. As soon as I settle on what recipes I will be canning next year, I will decide what seeds to order then.

Tomato- UIUC
Tomato Plant Problems FAQ
Pruning Tomatoes- Fine Gardening magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment