Monday, April 4, 2011

Apples and Pecans

The apple trees and pecans have been ordered from Miller Nurseries in Canandaigua, New York.  For one reason or another, I chose not to go through Gurney's.  I have used them in the past and was happy, but this year I have been disappointed on several counts when trying to place an order online.  I will not go into detail right now, but just let it be said that I am not happy with them at all this year.  I was going to try Henry Field's, but I suspect that they are affiliated with Gurney's... same operation with a different name perhaps.  I would have preferred Stark's over Miller's, because Stark's stock would be more regionally adapted to our location, but I went with Miller's for the simple reason that their stock is air root pruned.  This is the great advantage as researched by Dr. Carl Whitcomb.   They also have a nice selection of fruit and nut trees and reasonable prices. 

So the trees that I was able to narrow it down to are as follows:  I purchased as a package the disease resistant varieties of four apples; also a Winter Banana Semi-Dwarf Apple and Northern Spy Semi-Dwarf.  I am concerned about how these two will do because we already have a cedar that carries Cedar-Apple Rust.  I may try to figure out a place to plant these two trees that are a little further away from the afflicted cedar. 

For the nut trees, I ordered two hardy pecans.  I want a heartnut walnut tree, but these are sold out at Miller's for the year.  I will search around a bit and see if I can find it from another nursery without having to wait a whole year.

No comments:

Post a Comment