Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Rosy Melon Rind Pickles

Here are the finished pickles.  The flavor is good, but I don't think I will use this particular recipe again.  The pickles, while they held their shape, are not crisp.  I didn't really expect them to be extrememly crisp, but I think I will go for one of the recipes that called for a lime soak instead.  I think I may have answered my own question about whether the Citron melons and watermelons are interchangeable in a recipe calling for one or the other.  I couldn't say for sure without a side by side comparison, but I'm guessing not.  I used citron melon rinds in a recipe calling for watermelon rinds.  The recipe called for 4 to 5 quarts of cubed watermelon rinds (approximately 4 pounds).  This would result in 5 pints of pickles.  I ended up with over 8 pints...  I only canned 8 and the rest went into the fridge.  So I think that it may have something to do with the amount of water in watermelon rinds versus the citron melon rinds that would account for way less shrinkage from the brine soak. 


No comments:

Post a Comment